Inhalt: VTS Ems
PRINCIPAL FUNCTIONS OF EMDEN VTS EMS
BASIC AIMS AND SCOPES OF THE VTS CENTRE
Service is carried out according to special instructions (VV WSV 2408) which are on
principle compliant with international standards.
Extracts from IMO Guidelines
- "A VTS is any service implemented by a competent authority,designed to improve safety and efficiency of vessel traffic andthe protection of the environment",
- "Care should be taken that VTS operations do not encroach upon the master's responsibility for the safe navigation of his vessel,or disturb the traditional relationship between master and pilot" (1),
- "VTS operators are the appropriately qualified persons who perform the functions of the VTS",
- "The functions of a VTS may include: data collections, data evaluation, information service, organization service, support of allied activities"
- "The safety of maritime traffic in a VTS area is necessarily a co operative activity between those ashore and those at sea".
- Improvement of safe and easy flow of traffic, and protection of environment by means of information, navigational assistance,and traffic control services based on shipborne data collection,data evaluation and transmission of messages back to vessel,
- radar surveillance and tracking of vessels which are identified by means of compulsory sailing plan report;
- broadcasting situation reports and waimings with concern to navigational disturbances and dangers in general or in particular;
- navigational assistance to all vessels in cases of need (by VTS operators);
- shore based radar assistance (by sea pilots);
- initiative and co ordination of necessary measures in cases of marine casualties, oil and other harmful substances (e. g. chemicals, gases) pollutions, and other unusual incidents.
- Supporting ON SCENE COMMANDERS/CO ORDINATORS
Shipping Police Functions
The VTS operators are authorized and obliged to direct administrative messages to vessels -
preferably using Standard Marine Communication Phrases (SMCP) as follows:
|Message Markers||Type and Effect of Message|
|Information||Announcement with regard to existing facts in the area ahead, application being to addressees|
|Advice||Recommendation which should be observed not yet binding.|
|Instruction||Obligatory order by shipping police direction which must be followed. Refusals and offences can be recorded and prosecuted.|
|Others||WARNINGS/REQUESTS/INTENTIONS/QUESTIONS/ANSWERS (self explaining)|
- VTS Operations are only carried out by Navigators with Master's Certificate (foreign trade AG) and special VTS-training,assisted by Nautical Assistants (in majority with a nautical License)
- The VTS centre is continuously manned with 2 operators:
- 1 Navigator + 1 Nautical Assistant
- Shore based pilotage is performed by Sea Pilots in accordance with Pilot Ordinance Ems Lotsverordnung Ems.